On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 09:04:13 -0500
Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 7:30 AM, Ruediger Pluem <rpl...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >

> > Eric Covener wrote:
> >> I was looking at a typical apr_thread_create failure for creating a
> >> large # of threads on a system, and the only solution was to
> >> increase roots RLIMIT_NPROC as opposed to the  (httpd.conf
> >> configured) "User" limits
> >
> > I assume that you configured that via /etc/security/limits.conf?
>
> Yep.  I still haven't figured out if the target users ulimits ever
> matter (around setuid() call, as implied by the manual) or if it's
> 100% root.

So to further clarify, your understanding right now is that...

 - root's soft ulimit overriden by any ulimit -u in the startup
   script is honored for the parent httpd process

 - ulimit is not replaced with User's limits during startup/setuid

 - the User's hard ulimit is checked and causes the startup to fail
   if the (root) soft ulimit then exceeds the user's max hard limit?

Is that correct?

I'm working on a simple module to report the limits at various phases
of the startup, since this affects any httpd version, and patching all
of the flavors to report this info seems convoluted for diagnostics.
Should have an update/source by tomorrow.