On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 12:52:26 -0500
Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com> wrote:

> # Set the maximum number of file descriptors allowed per child
> process. if [ "x$ULIMIT_MAX_FILES" != "x" ] ; then
>     $ULIMIT_MAX_FILES
> fi
>

> Should we do the same for threads/processes? I was going to propose
> this for some kind of startup code, and realized there was some old
> precedent.  The downside is that we don't yet know MaxClients is
> large, as we could in code.

Keep in mind, we also don't know if we are launching one rotatelogs per
log file, our cgi requirements, etc etc etc.  There are too many variables
to know what our actual process count requirement really is.

We could go with a number such as current ulimit -Su + MaxClients, or we
could go with the hardlimit (of root, or of the httpd User), or... ???