On 10/26/2015 03:23 PM, Nick Kew wrote:
On Mon, 26 Oct 2015 09:51:43 -0700
Jacob Champion <champio...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'd rather not feel like I'm just annoying dev@ until you submit my
stuff -- I want to *talk* about it, and improve the server.

That may not be easy.  You need to find someone who'll be
interested in an idea or patch, and has the time to review it.
Plus, the community as a whole to agree it's a good idea,
or at least not actively oppose it.

That's fine by me. I don't think it necessarily needs to be _easy_ -- making it too easy to submit code loosens the codebase, which I think is what Jim's original mail is asking about -- but at the same time it shouldn't be like talking to a wall.

In other words, I find it very difficult to keep a conversation going here, and in my experience, it's the conversations that keep codebases healthy.

I wonder if workflow would be improved if we had named
maintainers for particular parts of the codebase - for
example individual modules?  Not necessarily to do all
the work, but to take primary responsibility to see that
your ideas don't just fall through the gaps and get ignored?

See my reply to Tim.

--Jacob