From: Luca Toscano <toscano.l...@gmail.com>
Sent: August 4, 2017 6:38:16 AM CDT
To: Apache HTTP Server Development List <dev@httpd.apache.org>,
nickgea...@gmail.com
Subject: Re: SSLPolicy

Hi Nick,

> This can be done using mod_macro without any additional code

my 2c: Stefan's point is to simplify the management of things that have
been done up to now using workarounds and elegant hacks:

> On 04-08-2017 11:26, Stefan Eissing wrote:
>>

>> The Benefits I'd like to achieve with this:
>> A. A name makes it easier to talk about used/recommended configurations.
>> It
>>     also makes it easy for admins to apply a known set of policies. It is
>>     less error prone.
>> B. SSLPolicy definitions can be updated by us or by distributions, since
>> the
>>     config defining the policies need not be edited by the user, e.g. can
>> be
>>     replaced in an update. This way, a broken cipher/protocol can be
>> updated
>>     away in policies we/distributions define. This should help increase
>> security
>>     of https on the internet.

I agree that mod_macro is flexible enough to improve the reusability of
httpd's configuration, but I don't think that the goals that Stefan has in
mind are satisfiable with your proposed solution.

Luca