On Wed, Sep 12, 2018, 04:16 Daniel Gruno <humbed...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 09/12/2018 10:58 AM, Graham Leggett wrote:
> > On 12 Sep 2018, at 03:15, William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net
> > <mailto:wr...@rowe-clan.net>> wrote:
> >
> >> On Tue, Sep 11, 2018, 17:42 Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm
> >> <mailto:minf...@sharp.fm>> wrote:
> >>
> >>     On 11 Sep 2018, at 20:35, Jim Jagielski <j...@jagunet.com
> >>     <mailto:j...@jagunet.com>> wrote:
> >>
> >>     > This is what I propose:
> >>     >
> >>     >  o Later on this week I svn cp trunk over to branches/2.5.x
> >>

> >> -1 ... Veto on the basis of project bylaws. Propose a revision for
> voting.
> >
> > I've totally lost you. Jim describes creating a branch, how is this
> > related to voting?
>
> I am not Bill, but it is likely a reference to the fact that you can
> veto code changes, not community/workflow changes. I see Jim's proposal
> as the latter, so I'm not sure why the attempted veto. The codebase
> itself isn't being changed from what I can gather, only the workflow is.

Yes. To be clear, the proposal to make 2.5 Jim's fork, discarding all
previously committed changes to 2.5 (and I suppose, renumbering trunk as
2.7) is a change to the project development process at httpd.

As-it-stands, such a personal fork is vetoable. And flies in sharp contrast
to community over code, discarding the existing collaboration of 2.5.1-dev
trunk in favor of one participants agenda.

Note, sandboxes are encouraged, don't require any vote to start one, and
might lead to some compromise between points a and b.

I suggest above, propose a *process* revision to our /dev/ docs for a vote,
before proceeding to violate community norms on versioning. Sorry for the
confusion about what I was proposing to 'revise'.

As a project committee vote to change our operational process, that is a
simple majority vote, as Daniel observes, which would carve out space for a
zombie (never to be released) trunk,