On Mon, May 8, 2023 at 9:08 AM Stefan Sperling <s...@apache.org> wrote:

> If the ASF at large was confident in SVN as a technology then our current
> reality would look quite different. The Subversion project never managed
> to grow its developer base by becoming part of the ASF. We've mostly seen

That is simply untrue.

Case in point: WANdisco did not materially contribute to svn *until* the
project left the CollabNet umbrella. At that point, WD put several
full-time developers onto the project, and ramped up their project plans.
This is a specific *fact* directly from my conversations with the CEO, over
the phone and in-person at their offices in Sheffield. And WANdisco offered
many developers', over many years, with very significant and important
contributions.

The ASF is completely confident in svn, and basically 99% of our corporate
records, and some of our key workflows (eg. account requests, TLP
graduation, ICLA recording) is all based on Apache Subversion. Also a fact.
And zero plans to change that. Git is not envisioned to replace any of that.

Your implication that the Foundation was somehow required to grow the svn
community is misplaced. That is not its purpose. The Apache Subversion
community is responsible for growing itself. In 2011, the Board of
Directors specifically declined to assist a TLP with its community (*way*
larger than svn) because that is not the purpose of the Foundation. We do
not want some people "over there" on the Foundation/administrative side
interfering with the technical operation, and the community dynamics of one
of the communities. Or, even worse, to *pick* which communities get
assistance, while others do not. No winners. No losers. (clearly: I am
upset by your implication that you've been let down; the true answer is
missing a step on the Foundation's role)

As Daniel notes else-thread, the suggestion is not git vs. svn. It is
entirely about "Do we want the tools offered by GitHub, to be made
available to the Apache HTTPD community?"

I'm an svn partisan, but I also appreciate GitHub for its utility. I
voted +1 to move, for that reason only. Hands-down, I'd -1 a move to git.
It was only GitHub that changed my opinion on this issue.

Cheers,
-g