On Wed, May 10, 2023 at 5:18 AM Stefan Sperling <s...@apache.org> wrote:

> I did have some hope that we would see individual self-motivated
> contributors
> arriving via various ASF projects because they are all using SVN every day
> on svn.apache.org, are programmers, might have itches to scratch, already
> have
> commit access to ^/subversion, and there is some sense of shared ownership
> across the ASF community. I was reminded of all this by Graham's remark.
> It's the lack of such interactions that I find disappointing in retrospect.
> There certainly have been some, but relatively few.

IMO, it is because Subversion is successful.

It just works. Zero friction. It doesn't cause developers a headache or an
"itch to scratch".

One doesn't think to improve their dishwasher. It just works. Why change
your hammer? It works.

I believe that Subversion hit its goal, and then some. I believe that is
why the *use* of Subversion did not lead to a desire to work/fix/change
Subversion.

Cheers,
-g