Joe, thanks for your feedback!

Just to make sure I understand this feedback, what you are mentioning is that
exposing the internals of Apache diminishes the value of the sandbox because
programs could potentially perform write operations into the internals of httpd
state, tables, etc. Is that correct?

If my understanding is correct, this should not be an issue:

- The current incarnation of mod_wasm is implemented as a content-handler and
does not have access to the internals of Apache or tables. All the information
is passed through environment variables, similar to a traditional CGI binary,
but running in the Wasm sandbox (so you can control tightly any access to
filesystem, network, etc.).

- The proposed changes to mod_wasm that enable writing Apache modules in other
languages would expose the API, but that’s the idea: to make it easy to build
fully featured Apache modules using any language that can compile to Wasm (ie:
Go, Python). Think of this as an ‘universal’ polyglot version of mod_lua with
added sandboxing capabilities.

Which mode to use can be configured. You definitely don’t want random users
having access to the internals of httpd when serving their regular application
(ie: Drupal).

Having said all of this, regarding the read-only structs, a Wasm binary cannot
access the host memory space. So, a pointer to an apr table in the httpd memory
space cannot be dereferenced within the sandbox. There exist opaque reference
types (ie: externref) to host objects that comply with WebAssembly sandboxing
guarantees as explained in
https://fitzgeraldnick.com/2020/08/27/reference-types-in-wasmtime.html. This is
great in terms of security, but a drawback from a performance perspective. To
manipulate data structs, either they are copied into the Wasm memory and copied
back to the server, or we offer a set of limited interfaces to the Wasm binary
to perform such actions. So yes, we believe your proposal of getting the
apreq_* (ARP table-based) interfaces exposed as read-only data structures is
doable and useful.

Cheers!