Not to nag, but are we ever going to move the Confluence space to
cwiki.apache.org?

What would be the benefit to us and our users?  I'm happy with Confluence
and the service from Atlassian.  The last time we hosted our wiki with ASF
infra, we lost almost all of our links and I think even some of our content
was lost.  It was down for days, all due to a MoinMoin upgrade.

And, in a similar vein, are we ever going to move out of the
com.ibatis namespace? With SVN, we can make these sort of changes
without losing history.

We can make the change easily.  Our users may not be able to, nor would
there be any tangible benefit to them for having to do so.  I think we
should move to org.apache.ibatis with iBATIS 3, as it will be a significant
change anyway.

I'm thinking of submitting a JSR to request that people stop using domain
names for namespaces in Java...it's stupid.  If our namespace was just
"ibatis" we wouldn't be having this conversation.  ;-)

Cheers,
Clinton

On 3/6/07, Ted Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 3/5/07, Brandon Goodin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm sure i'm not addressing something. But, this is a quick brain dump.
What
> is cool is that I think we have most of these things in the bag. The
only
> area I see room for improvement is to adjust to site to provide clear
paths
> for the different levels of involvement in iBATIS.

There is one odd wrinkle, that the current iBATIS layout already handles
well.

A key notion is that the Foundation is distributing the software, not
the individual committers. Before we release software to the general
public, the PMC approves the software on behalf of the Foundation. To
close the loop, we should draw a clear line between a PMC-sanctioned
release and unreleased software that is not yet fully PMC approved.
It's not uncommon for open source sites to glom everything together,
so it is not clear where the "general pubilc" site ends and the
development site begins, which is not the best approach for a ASF
site.

In the case of iBATIS, the link categores do draw a clear line, as
would a site arranged into "trails" for prototypical visitors.

In terms of a face list, the Cayenne space seems nice, and the
stylesheet is under SVN.

* http://cayenne.apache.org/why-cayenne.html

*
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cayenne/site/trunk/tlp-site/src/confluence/auto-export-template.txt

Not to nag, but are we ever going to move the Confluence space to
cwiki.apache.org?

Right now, a lot of ASF projects are exporting the Confluence spaces
to HTML, so that the core site is under Confluence too. With the
autoexport plugin, the process is transparent and seamless. Here's the
HTML version of the Cayenne site, being served by Apache HTTPD

* http://cayenne.apache.org/why-cayenne.html

And, in a similar vein, are we ever going to move out of the
com.ibatis namespace? With SVN, we can make these sort of changes
without losing history.

-Ted.