To me, this proposal is getting a bit ahead of where I'm comfortable. I was
expecting this to address some of the big questions about how to run an
event like this from an open source community, but it seems to be assuming
that the event will happen and addresses logistics.

Here's an example of what I mean: the doc suggests the different levels of
sponsors, slots at those levels, and prices. But I think the main
question the community has to think through before we get there --- and
what I'd expect in a proposal --- is how to ensure that such an event
remains commercially neutral. Because you're asking for this to be an
"official" event from the community and using its trademarks, we need to
think through how we want to strike that balance.

I'd like to see more of a proposal around:
1. Should the Iceberg community put on an event? Clearly, we like the idea
of exchanging ideas, but it goes beyond that.
2. How would we balance the interests of different parts of the community
and why should we take that approach?

We have a lot of different companies contributing and building around
Iceberg. The last thing that we want to do is give the impression that the
community is in any way "pay-to-play" --- that's one of this community's
distinguishing features.

Also, I want to disclose that I'm also associated with a vendor (Tabular).
With that hat on, I think we'd happily sponsor an event like this. But with
my community hat on I want to make sure we plan it out and think carefully.

Ryan

--
Ryan Blue
Tabular