Back to the main topic:

Removing java8 support still allows us to use the old HMS libraries, so
iceberg-hive-metastore module is not affected in this sense. We still need
to run the tests, to ensure that there is no changes in the behaviour, but
it is unlikely.

+1 in favor of adding java 21 support
+1 in favor of removing java 8 support - especially if it is not bound to
removing Hive support as well

Thanks,
Peter