Just to reiterate the original premise for the rotation [1]:
<quote>
- it provides an opportunity to anyone in the PMC to try this hat on and get
more involved in the inner-workings of the ASF and see how the board operates
- it guarantees that once you're a chair you aren't stuck holding the bag
forever and can pass it on if your time allocation changes
- such a policy makes the PMC very transparent
</quote>

It ain't about supervision, as Chair doesn't have any magical powers over the
PMC. It is mostly about helping the board to provide a better view into the
project and be the representative of the board in the PMC. Most of the time it
is boring, but once in a while it might require quite a bit of an ability to
negotiate with people and be tasteful, if a situation gets sensitive for
whatever reason. Being a Chair doesn't mean he or she will lead the technical
side of the project: this responsibility comes as a consequence of one's merit,
rather than an official title of a sort.

[1] https://is.gd/bnVoaa

Cheers,
  Cos