Yakov,

I see the only one problem with your suggestion - number of "uncheckpointed" segments is potentially unlimited. Right now we have limited number (10) of file segments with immutable names in WAL "work" directory. We have to keep this approach due to known bug in XFS - fsync time is nearly twice bigger for recently created files.

Best Regards,
Ivan Rakov