David, Yakov, I understand your fears. But liveness checks deal with
_critical_ conditions, i.e. when such a condition is met we conclude the
node as totally broken, and there is no sense to keep it alive regardless
the data it contains. If we want to give it a chance, then the condition
(long fsync etc.) should not considered as critical at all.

--
Best regards,
  Andrey Kuznetsov.