Hi,

I am trying to understand both Matej and Alexander / Marcel...

In my view Jackrabbit should be able to obtain database connections
using a JDBC URL as well as a data source name. If Jackrabbit requires
some kind of connection pooling, that should be integrated in
Jackrabbit - otherwise it is not possible to use Jackrabbit in a
standalone application. Otherwise FirstHop couldn't be started from
the command line.

It's not required to explicitly declare data sources in
repository.xml, and I believe it should not be declared because it is
added complexity for the user of Jackrabbit. Connection pooling can be
implemented in another way, for example as it is done in the
DbDataStore now, or using commons-dbcp. Maybe there is even a simpler
solution, I don't know yet. I guess we should try to find a better
solution for this problem.

Regards,
Thomas