Hi,

I think there is a misunderstanding. It is already possible to use
data sources in Jackrabbit as described here:

http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/PersistenceManagerFAQ
"As of Jackrabbit 1.4, the connection can be created using a JNDI Data
Source as well. To do that, the driver class name must reference a
javax.naming.Context class (for example javax.naming.InitialContext),
and the URL must be the JNDI URL (for example
java:comp/env/jdbc/Test)."

I think this paragraph is hidden too much, I will add a title to it
and add it to the FAQ as well.

>> If you get database connection pooling in Jackrabbit without
>> DataSources (using the aforementioned commons-dbcp for example), why
>> do you need a explicit DataSource configuration inside the
>> repository.xml then?

I agree, if possible the data source configuration shouldn't be
included in the repository.xml if not needed. And I don't see why it
would be needed to use data sources.

Regards,
Thomas