On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 11:05 AM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Tobias Bocanegra
> <tobias.bocane...@day.com> wrote:
>> i would like to drop the builtin .xml file and read the builtin node types
>> only from the .cnd file and additionally add support for a
>> "custom_nodetypes.cnd".
>> this will make the node types file much more readable and offers users a
>> simpler
>> way of providing their node types.
>
> I'm a bit afraid that making the file more readable will just
> encourage more people to modify it directly. :-(
well, but that's security by obscurity :-) but it certainly helps the
developers. furthermore, all the node types in jsr283 are now speced
in CND, and converting them to XML is a pain and error prone.

> Instead, couldn't we store the node type information as actual nodes
> in the same persistence manager we currently use for versioning
> information? This way we could get rid of the current virtual item
> states we use for exposing the node types under /jcr:system. Storing
> the type information as content would also simplify clustering,
> backups, etc.
hmm, i think you're talking about something else :-). storing the
registered (builtin and custom) nodetypes in the persistence manager
(instead of the custom.xml) would certainly be a big advantage. the
'versioning' workspace should then be the general "rep:system" shared
tree.

i was talking about installing the initial set of nodetypes, like:
nt:base :-) those are currently stored as resource in
builtin_nodetypes.xml, and i would like to replace it with the
(already present) .cnd aequivalent.

regards, toby