Github user afs commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/jena/pull/401

    > Compilation  in JPMS requires a module-info.java and is distinct from
compiling in JDK 9+.

    The issue is for trellisldp to solve surely? The transitivity is an
indirect jena-osgi dependency and a direct jena dependency.

    Or a PR to improve `jena-osgi` (which does not get much use or at least not
much user@ questions). You may also wish to take that up with CommonsRDF. I'm
not sure OSGi is helping here.

    `jena-osgi` does not affect the oaj.atlas issue between `jena-arq` and
`jena-base`.

    This PR is for the org.system split package. This seems completed. I'd like
to get this merged and other matters taken up in separate issues/JIRA so we can
make incremental progress.

---