> On Apr 16, 2019, at 7:18 AM, Andy Seaborne <a...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> https://sonarcloud.io/dashboard?id=jena-db-tdb2
>
> which is new code for TDB2 rewritten for jena-dboe-storage.
>
> Some useful points, significant amount of noise to manage.
> So IMO it is informative, and best used when there is active development in
> the area.  Diffs in numbers can be useful, the overall assessment of old
> code, rather less so and risks being a burden on that old code (where tests
> are important and IMO where any time is better spent).

That's enough for me to want to turn it on. I agree that it is sometimes
useful, sometimes just noise, but for me, having it turned on and being able to
just go look at a webpage when that seems interesting is a lot easier (and more
likely to be useful) than having to remember how to run it and then running it
and then going to look for the report. As for the less useful reports from old
code, we can simply ignore that or (depending on how much time I have) I can
try to customize the settings across the codebase to minimize the junk from
older styles. It should be easy enough to just turn off any notifications so
that we don't get a barrage of junk every time someone makes a commit near
older code. We can turn them on if or when that seems useful. Cool?

> Would we insist on it for contributions? Hoep not - I'd rather see
> contributions and tests. And if we don't insist, then who cleans up?

Whoa, wait what?! Are there Apache projects that do that? (Require some certain
score on this kind of analysis for a contribution?) I sincerely hope not, and
I'd be the first -1 here at Jena against any such suggestion. That would be
literally thoughtless.

It sounds like there are no -1s (maybe a bit of skepticism from Andy as to how
generally useful it could be :) ), so I'll see what it would take to turn it on
(guessing a ticket to INFRA) and report back.

ajs6f