We can enable github features; settings are controlled by the .asf.yaml file on branch main in the repo.

Full documentation:
https://s.apache.org/asfyaml

Is there interest in opening up any features, initially on an experimental basis?

My concern is that more communication channels, with same amount of responding resources, is not necessarily better. I would be cautious about adding features because even "experimental" is some level of commitment.

That said, "issues" and "discussions" look interesting.

We can move items between "issues" and "discussions" if incoming is in the wrong place. It will help keep issues cleaner.

== GH issues

We have JIRA and it is useful to because it gets used to record which tickets get addressed in which release. It has a usage model where as github issues allows you build usage.

The JIRA installation is a separate system and the user has to have their own log-in. And the markup syntax is different.

Without creating inventing manual process around GH-labels for versions etc. should we open up GH-issues? How do we retain a list of all thing addressed by a release? (not a blocker).

Our releases are GH-tagged.  https://github.com/apache/jena/tags

Linking within github:

https://docs.github.com/en/get-started/writing-on-github/working-with-advanced-formatting/autolinked-references-and-urls

https://docs.github.com/en/issues/tracking-your-work-with-issues/linking-a-pull-request-to-an-issue

== GH Discussions

From the /asfyaml link above:
"""
GitHub Discussions is currently a beta feature and does not have an API endpoint. Until this is addressed, please open an Infra Jira ticket with a link to a consensus discussion thread for your project.
"""

I found about 10 projects that have raised tickets and I looked at one or two who do have discussions enabled.

I'd like to open the discussions up as a users@ resource - I hope they will become a repository of knowledge.

It is NOT a place for project decisions.

We ought to have a VOTE on this to show consensus or not, including as much community input as possible.

    Andy