Yes parent really does have to be a POM package.

http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-pom.html

I've just tried using the latest 2.6-SNAPSHOT and I'm getting the following
error:

[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]

Project ID: org.apache.jmeter:ApacheJMeter_core

Reason: Parent: org.apache.jmeter:ApacheJMeter_parent:jar:2.6-SNAPSHOT of
project: org.apache.jmeter:ApacheJMeter_core has
wrong packaging: jar. Must be 'pom'. for project
org.apache.jmeter:ApacheJMeter_core

[INFO]
[INFO]
[INFO] Total time: 12 seconds
[INFO] Finished at: Mon Jan 23 13:03:50 GMT 2012
[INFO] Final Memory: 13M/107M
[INFO]