On 03/20/12 10:14 AM, Shmuel Krakower wrote:

> The main issue I have with this is
> that running the same requests as recorded is just cannot work. There is
> almost no system that doesn't use cookies, sessions and other dynamic
> content which just cannot simply be replayed.
>
> It might be that your sampler does this and if it is, it may work (I didn't
> look into details). Can you share your use of it and how you overcome these
> issues?

This is a good point, and if you're recording request traffic from live
production, there are likely to be more relevant factors from the
context than that, particularly the state of underlying databases.

And you're right, the sampler plays back requests exactly as found in
the logs, byte for byte right onto the socket.

The way we've made this work in projects:

- - restore the test database before the replay to the state of the
production DB before the recording, with point-in-time recovery

- - before the replay, pre-create sessions that were active before the
recording or created during the recording, so that authentications
during the replay hit a valid session

This worked well for the tests in which we've used the sampler. But it
does mean that preparations like this are also necessary, and these
measures may not be possible or appropriate for everyone. Also,
something like pre-creating sessions may cause misleading results, if
session creation is a costly operation.

An improvement that I have in mind for the sampler is to have it
interact with other JMeter components the way that the HTTP Sampler
does, especially with the Cookie Manager -- that would likely solve most
of the issues with sessions.

Any other relevant context that JMeter can't influence, such as
databases, would still have to be re-created before a replay (I assume
that's true of any tool for running replays -- you may need that for the
Access Log Sampler as well, depending on the test).

Best,
Geoff
- --
** * * UPLEX - Nils Goroll Systemoptimierung

Schwanenwik 24
22087 Hamburg

Tel +49 40 2880 5731
Mob +49 176 636 90917