On 3/20/12 8:09 PM, Shmuel Krakower wrote:

> One other thing I find problematic is that you cannot change the
> created load. I.e. if you want to see how the system will handle
> twice of the current load.. but I guess you can work around this..

There are a number of things you could do, such as make additional
copies of the request logs, and change the intervals between requests
in the logs. Then you'd have to make sure that the results do not
create some sort of error, for example by duplicating DB updates, or
something like that. This all runs afoul of the idea of reproducing
recorded traffic, but the sampler doesn't know or care where the
request logs came from or how they were built.

> Regarding your thoughts of allowing utilization of JMeter config
> elements like cookies, I guess that another approach (which maybe
> others already implemented?) will be to simply convert apache logs
> into jmeter samplers(creating a jmx file) but I am not sure how
> jmeter will handle thousands of samplers in one script.

As sebb mentioned, that's the Access Log Samper (just the one sampler
is enough). As I mentioned earlier, access logs mean that you are
limited to GET requests and any headers the access log contains, and
you have to estimate the concurrency of the logged requests.

> Anyway, this is interesting topic.. maybe more related to the users
> list and not dev...

We can take it over there, it just came up on dev because we've
offered the sampler for JMeter, and the question was how generally
useful it would be.

- From the feedback so far, I'm thinking we should bring it up again at
a later time, when we have stronger tool support for obtaining the
request logs, and easier ways of solving problems with sessions and
the like, as we've been discussing today. Sound about right?

Best,
Geoff
- --
UPLEX Systemoptimierung