I clearly understand your points of view.

But with plugins used in my case (and average 300 testers) which bring
average 40 config elements and 90 samplers, they are mixed (with JMeter
native ones too) for complex and cross-protocol flows we would like to
simulate (average 15 protocols - new , redefined protocols or server side
part - for our needs coverage).

Reconfiguring a palette does not really solve my issue because the range of
required elements changes often or is wide each time.

That's why a protocol grouping is IMHO and in my specific use-case more
accurate and quickly usable.
I hope beiing wrong and I'm waiting for a quicker menu navigation mechanism
even it is not a submenu one ;).

Thanks for all the work you provide to improve JMeter.

Vincent