Ah, I didn't appreciate the use case you had.

I still think the additional menu groupings would be detrimental to more
common use cases.

Perhaps we can keep plugin menus ordered separated from the native ones
this might help slightly. I will make sure I test my changes with some
plugins!

I was thinking to keep a LRU list in the search box results which should
speed things up for most use cases.

Graham