I've submitted a PR (https://github.com/apache/jmeter/pull/360) for the
menu re-ordering.
Testing, critiques and any major disagreements with my proposed order very
much welcomed!

I've tried to keep it simple for the time being. We could add another item
to the annotation, e.g. groups, which could then define more than the
current (specifically ordered vs. the rest).

The search box might take me a while, my swing GUI skills are lacking, and
I might not get time before Christmas to work on it.

I'm starting to like the idea of grouping plugins in their own sub-menu as
this might make it more obvious for beginners and easier if you need a lot
of plugins, then again, a palette with up to 10-15 things "ought to be
enough for anybody".

Thanks

Graham

On 12 December 2017 at 16:58, Vincent HERILIER <vheril...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe could we propose different layouts (full flat (default ?), full
> grouped, plugin only... defined by a property) mixed with LRU proposition,
> Search box... accordingly to user preferences/habits/needs ?
>

> Le mar. 12 déc. 2017 à 16:40, Vincent HERILIER <vheril...@gmail.com> a
> écrit :
>
>> In the PR, I proposed, I grouped JMeter native elements as example, but
>> the PR insured to let some elements at their initial place (JMEter ones
>> keep its current usability) and allow others to be grouped (3rd party
ones
>> if required and proposed by their related maintainers).
>> So it was just allowing the feature, it didn't ordered it.
>>
>> Maybe it could be no more compatible with some evolutions you planned and
>> that avoids it anyway.
>> Or we could try to make these approaches complementary too...
>>
>> Anyway, I stay really interested in JMeter usability improvement.
>>
>> Le mar. 12 déc. 2017 à 16:15, Graham Russell <gra...@ham1.co.uk> a écrit
:

>>> Ah, I didn't appreciate the use case you had.
>>>
>>> I still think the additional menu groupings would be detrimental to more
>>> common use cases.
>>>
>>> Perhaps we can keep plugin menus ordered separated from the native ones
>>> this might help slightly. I will make sure I test my changes with some
>>> plugins!
>>>
>>> I was thinking to keep a LRU list in the search box results which should
>>> speed things up for most use cases.
>>>
>>> Graham

JMeter