>I would be fine with both versions 5.5 and 6.0.

Same for me.
I am limited in time :-/, so I would not be able to rename 5.5 -> 6.0,
so I would suggest releasing as 5.5, and going for 6.0 a bit later.

I thought I could work on DSL this December, however, it turns out not to
be the case.

>and more important a major version could be a good point to drop old
>stuff

I am afraid it does not work that way.
If we want to drop something, we need to announce the deprecation plan in
advance.
AFAIK MongoDB is not deprecated (at least, MongoScriptSampler is not
deprecated), so there's no option to drop it yet.

>so a 6.0 is not necessarily needed

In 99% of the cases, the versions are there to convey the changes to the
end-users.
I really like realver:
https://twitter.com/lorenc_dan/status/1209289792569131008

6.0 would mean "hey, there's something big, go and try it" :)

Vladimir