Hi Folks,
In my limited experience at Apache ;)
I've come to notice that communities and therefore projects far exceed
their usefulness outside of what current industry or academia is doing.
Examples are all over the place, but my own experience stems from my
involvement with the Apache Nutch project. Key inventors of that software
moved on to Hadoop and goodness knows whatever else, but the current Nutch
community remains at around ~1K subscribers on out user@ mailing list. I've
personally seen and pushed >15 releases used by countless (1000's) of
people around the world. The software exists are THE best maintained,
highest quality, production ready Web search software current available to
this day.
Chris' points are well founded, Tomasso's match very appropriately to the
fact that Joshua is nowhere near a dead project. I acknowledge that no-one
said it was. The resources available for Joshua are FAR more comprehensive
than anywhere else I've seen. FAR FAR more comprehensive. Joshua is the
FIRST toolkit to be made available as a packaged, consumable,
community-backed software artifact for anyone attempting to get involved
with machine translation.
NONE of the NMT software communities even come close to providing new
software developers with translation packs as Joshua does. They don't even
come close. AFAIK, all of the people so far working on NMT have kept
everything proprietary... which is utterly useless for the next person or
the next academic, etc.
This highlights the essence and hits at the heart of why a group of us
shepharded Joshua into the ASF in the first place.
Believe me, if people are actively discussing a new release on an Apache
mailing list (or any mailing list for that matter), there is always purpose
in continuing.
To bring this back a bit, I will openly state that Matt you have been an
excellent champion for JHU as well as representing yourself with regards to
the way you have adopted and displayed a forward thinking, collaborative
mentality for Joshua.
If you feel your job is 'done', then I congratulate you.
Joshua will live on... at Apache.
Writing software at Apache is not about a competition. It is about writing
high quality software in a collaborative environment for the public good.
We achieve this through peer review from people we have probably never met.
That is called community.
If you would be gracious enough to stay with the community as a PMC Chair
then it would be highly appreciated. If you feel at any time that this is
too much, then let us know. We will be here and we will act when we cross
that bridge.
Over and out folks.
Lewis