FWIW, I don't have a strong preference for either FFI or Jacob-based,
though the Jacob-based approach pushes a lot of the native binding
stuff into someone else's court (i.e. if we just use Jacob, we don't
have to monkey with the FFI binding hassles and may be 90% done
already).

I do have a strong preference to not duplicate work :) If Brian's got
a good solid start using something like Jacob, it would probably be
the best use of time to help him finish it. I could certainly be
convinced otherwise, but depending on someone else's known-working COM
bridge seems like a good thing to do...

- Charlie