Here is my point of view about this subject.

We're comparing different things here.

RubyGems can be compared to Maven but I don't think Bundler has anything similar in other languages I know about.

Bundler will generate a Gemfile.lock that will assure that the exact dependencies versions can be replicated in other environments.

Until recently Maven didn't support adding dependencies like '>= 1.2' like RubyGems supported. Now it supports but I still believe there is no such tool like Bundler for Maven yet.

So we shouldn't be comparing different tools as if they were the same thing. Bundler is quite different from Maven for us to compare them both. Maven can be compared to RubyGems and in fact JRuby RubyGems already was patched to support installing Maven artifacts as Ruby gems.

What is still missing is adding support for Bundler to also be able to manage Maven artifacts specified in the Gemfile.

Cheers,
Rodrigo.