hi,

so played around a bit and created a branch

https://github.com/mkristian/jruby/tree/pom-ng

there is a pom-ng.xml which does compile (hopefully in the same manner as
ant compile-jruby) by

$ mvn -f pom-ng.xml compile

this does use only maven central and a few artifacts from ./localrepo
repository in which I copied those jars from ./build_lib

the tzdata stuff I also implemented up to using joda to compile the
timezone files but then I got stuck since the purpose of those files is not
really clear !

the localrepo is meant as a temporary hack to get the pom-ng.xml without
asking people to manually install a couple of jars into their local maven
repo. you can trigger that via

$ mvn -f pom-ng.xml compile -Ptzdata

the Constants.java is also patched beside the tzdata value - again some
lack of understanding of the tzdata thingy.

I have to admit that these huge xml files are clumpy and difficult to
comprehend. I personally usually ruby-maven which comes with ruby DSL for
the pom files and can generate a pom.xml on the fly for maven. it just
comes with a compact syntax and is much more pleasant to the eyes. it can
be also embedded into a Rakefile. but that is my personal preference !!!

currently I will not put time into all the external dependencies like the
ones from the localrepo and focus on getting the maven working until jruby
can be executed.

- christian