Hello Boyang,

Just realized one thing about timeout configurations that we should
consider including in this KIP as well:

1) In Producer we have: max.block.ms (default value 60sec), request.timeout
(30sec), delivery.timeout.ms (120sec), transaction.timeout (60sec)
2) In Consumer we have: session.timeout (10sec), request.timeout (30sec),
default.api.timeout.ms (60sec).

Within a transaction (i.e. after we've beginTxn), we could potentially call
consumer blocking APIs that depend on default.api.timeout.ms, and call
producer blocking APIs that depend on max.block.ms. Also, if the user is
following a consumer->producer pattern, then it could be kicked and fenced
either by txn or by consumer group session.

So we want to make sure that in the caller, e.g. Kafka Streams:

1) transaction.timeout < max.block.ms
2) transaction.timeout < delivery.timeout.ms
3) transaction.timeout < default.api.timeout.ms
4) transaction.timeout ~= default.api.timeout.ms (I think this is already
mentioned in the KIP, just wanted to bring this up again)

We do not need to override the default since not every users are following
the consumer -> producer pattern, but in cases like Streams where it is
indeed the case, we should override the default values to obey the above
rules.

Guozhang

--
-- Guozhang