On Fri, Dec 18, 2020, at 08:32, Gwen Shapira wrote:
> Agree. Once we have the basic API we can decide what belongs and what
> doesn't. I remember requests for broker status, version, and various
> other things. Considering all those options together will be too much
> at this point.

Hi Gwen,

I agree that there are a lot of potential improvements, and we want to avoid
putting too much in this KIP.  But I still think it would be helpful to have
one or two new user-visible things in this KIP, just to demonstrate why we need
a new RPC.  Or if that's too much, can we identify a few things in a "future
work" section?  I think it adds a lot to the motivation for this KIP.  After
all, if you don't think we're going to add anything more to describeCluster,
there is not a strong case for a new RPC.

> One thing that may be worth considering is whether you want to include
> not just the controller ID but also its epoch. This will allow
> resolving cases where brokers respond with outdated information. I
> haven't thought it through, so maybe it doesn't make sense here, but I
> was wondering if this was considered.

I think we should hold off on adding more epochs right now until we have a more
general solution.  With KIP-500 we can potentially put an epoch on the whole
metadata response, which would allow us to have read-after-write consistency
for metadata-- something people have wanted for a while.

best,
Colin