This is a good point Luke. Unrelatedly, I've considered the value of
exposing gauges for the expiry time of SSL certificates, which similarly
change rarely. The metrics collected are used to build dashboards, create
alerts etc. Thus to have, for example, an alert on approaching certificate
expiry, a metric has to be collected _somehow_, and if Kafka doesn't expose
it itself, then it forces people to write, deploy and monitor something
which bridges, (e.g.) the admin client and the metric store.

I would argue that so long as such nearly-static metrics are in the
minority then the cost of collecting and storing them is insignificant
compared with the whole set of broker metrics. So on balance it's probably
better for Kafka to support them out of the box than for people to have to
invent their components to get the information to the metric store. Also,
I'm sure many metric collectors and stores will support filtering, so most
of the cost can probably be avoided for those who don't want the
functionality.

Kind regards,

Tom