Hi John,

Thanks for the vote and feedback.

The thought occurred to me too.

Do I understand it correctly: the current version of the
kafka-console-producer cannot be used for anything other than UTF-8 keys
and values?
(There is no other implementation of MessageReader other than the
ConsoleProducer$LineMessageReader)
In other words, currently users seem to only apply it with utf-8 strings
for keys and values?
This is why I figured I would not deviate from this assumption solely for
the headers.

I will happily raise another KIP / Jira if there is a need to specify other
formats / serializers for headers, keys and/or values.

Thanks,
Florin