Hi Colin,

Thanks for this KIP. I am very excited to see the proposal.

A lot in the community have been asking when KRaft mode will be ready and I
think this KIP will provide a lot of the answers and guidance desperately
needed.

Thanks for working on it.

I also have some of the questions from Luke regarding the duration of the
deprecation period and the release where ZK will be completely dropped.

As per our time-based release plan [1], the release should be every 4
months, but it has been approximately 5 months between releases from the
downloads page [2]

So, right now we are about to push out 3.2.0 and 3.4.0 is approximately 10
months from now based on the schedule/plan.

I wonder if this will be enough time to complete all the features needed to
bring KRaft mode to parity with Legacy/Zookeeper mode.

The missing features you have highlighted and any other critical features
not working in KRaft mode should be implemented fully before marking KRaft
mode as production ready and deprecating Legacy mode.

The main question here is would we have Kafka versions 3.6.0, 3.7.0, 3.8.0
and 3.9.0 because this will add approximately 20 additional months after
3.4.0 which should be enough time to have ZK-mode deprecated and tested
thoroughly before removal completely. I feel we should not mark ZK mode as
deprecated until all the features in KRaft mode are at parity with ZK-mode.

If we are going to have 20 months after 3.4 to work with a deprecated
ZK-mode, then it could be possible to even drop ZK fully before 4.0

Let's move the boat closer to the dock before we jump out of the boat. It
will be very stressful if we jump out of the boat and have to swim several
miles to shore.

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Time+Based+Release+Plan
[2] https://kafka.apache.org/downloads