Yes, we would need to wait for 5.0 to remove it (assuming 5.0 will go out more than a year later -- eg, we had 2.0 release after 1.1, and could not remove stuff deprecated in 0.11 either)

Personally, the second rule is easy to follow, but the side effect is
that the "deprecation cycle" is not fixed (for example, one year).

Yes, it's _minimum_ of one year, plus an unknown amount of time until the next major release comes along.

It has always been this way, and for Kafka Streams for example, we only consider to remove stuff in 4.0 that was deprecated in 3.6 or older releases (cf https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-12822), including stuff deprecated in 2.7 and 2.8 which we could not remove in 3.0.

Let me follow up on KIP-1041 -- I don't think we can this this...

Maybe it is a good time to have a discussion about the deprecation cycle.

We can always discuss about it, but it has serves us well in the past. Personally, I don't see a reason why we would want to change it?

-Matthias