I would strongly support this idea. We have similar model in all other projects
where I’m involved:

The docs are part of the usual code base and we do require contributors to
update them when they are adding a new feature. And then during release time we
simply take snapshot of the docs and upload them to our public webpages. This
enables us to have simple versioned docs on the website, so that users can
easily find docs for their version and also the public site do not contain docs
of unreleased features :) There is a lot of ways how to achieve that - in Sqoop
1 we used asciidoc to build the site, in Sqoop 2/Flume we’re using sphinx,
Oozie is using markdown wiki...

Jarcec