We have proposed and discussed majorly three approaches so far, there were
many minor versions with small variations. Comparing them really requires a
side by side proposal and their pros/cons, and I agree with others that
this has been lacking in the KIP. We just updated the KIP with following
details.

1. Provide proposed changes in all the three proposals we have discussed so
far. Except the current proposal, these proposals are in rejected
alternatives.
2. Provide reasoning on why the rejected proposals were rejected.
3. Add scenarios for all of these proposals from a client developer and
core Kafka developer point of view.

As we are really close to 0.10 deadline, a quick round of voting will
really help. If you really do not like the idea, please feel free to say
so. If the vote fails for the current proposal, it can at lease provide
recommendations that we should consider for next version of proposal and
put it up for vote again for next release. However, as stated earlier by
multiple people having this ASAP will be awesome.

--

Regards,
Ashish