+1

One small but important thing I think we should consider changing: I think
we should consider setting the default for max.poll.interval to infinite.
Previously our definition of alive was "polls within session timeout". Now
our definition of alive is "pings from b/g thread w/in session timeout".
The reality is that anything we set here as a default is going to be too
low for some people and those people will be confused. Previously that was
okay because the definition of liveness required you to understand and
think about this setting, so getting an error meant you needed to think
harder. But now this is really an optional setting for people who care to
enforce some bound, so introducing a possible failure/instability mode by
guess that bound seems wrong. Instead I think users that know and care
about this should set a thoughtful max.poll.interval, but we should not try
to guess for those who don't.

This seems minor but I think we've found that defaults matter more than
configs so it's worth being thoughtful.

-Jay