Hi All,

I'd like to open the vote for KIP-62. This proposal attempts to address one
of the recurring usability problems that users of the new consumer have
faced with as little impact as possible. You can read the full details
here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-62%3A+Allow+consumer+to+send+heartbeats+from+a+background+thread
.

After some discussion on this list, I think we were in agreement that this
change addresses a major part of the problem and we've left the door open
for further improvements, such as adding a heartbeat() API or a separately
configured rebalance timeout. Thanks in advance to everyone who helped
review the proposal.

-Jason