Hi, Lucas,

Sorry for the delay. The new proposal looks good to me overall. A few minor
comments below.

1. It's possible that listener.name.for.controller is set, but set to the
same value as inter.broker.listener.name. In that case, should we have a
single network thread and the request handling thread for that listener?

2. Currently, the controller always picks the listener specified by
inter.broker.listener.name even if the listener name is not present in the
receiving broker. This KIP proposes a slightly different approach for
picking listener.name.for.controller only when the receiving end has the
listener and switches listener.name.for.controller otherwise. There are
some tradeoffs between the two approaches. To change the inter broker
listener, the former requires 2 steps: (1) adding the new listener to
listener list in every broker and (2) changing listener.name.for.controller.
The latter can do both changes in 1 step. On the hand, if
listener.name.for.controller
is mis-configured, the former will report an error and the latter will hide
it (so the user may not know the misconfiguration). It seems that we should
pick one approach to handle both listener.name.for.controller and
inter.broker.listener.name consistently. To me, the former seems slightly
better.

3. To be consistent with the existing naming, should
listener.name.for.controller
be controller.listener.name?

Thanks,

Jun