Hi, Lucas,

When upgrading to a minor release, I think the expectation is that a user
wouldn't need to make any config changes, other than the usual
inter.broker.protocol. If we require other config changes during an
upgrade, then it's probably better to do that in a major release.

Regarding your proposal, I think removing host/advertised_host in favor of
listeners:advertised_listeners seems useful regardless of this KIP.
However, that can probably wait until a major release.

As for the controller listener, I am not sure if one has to set it. To make
a cluster healthy, one sort of have to make sure that the request queue is
never full and no request will be sitting in the request queue for long. If
one does that, setting the controller listener may not be necessary. On the
flip side, even if one sets the controller listener, but the request queue
and the request time for the data part are still high, the cluster may
still not be healthy. Given that we have already started the 2.1 release
planning, perhaps we can start with not requiring the controller listener.
If this is indeed something that everyone wants to set, we can make it a
required config in a major release.

Thanks,

Jun