Hi Colin,

> On Jan 24, 2019, at 12:14 PM, Colin McCabe <cmcc...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Users almost always like the idea of new features, whatever they are.  But
> that doesn't mean that the feature would necessarily work well or be
> necessary.

Yes, though we should certainly consider the responses on the user list as
input (Subject: Prioritized Topics for Kafka).

> If you still want to pursue this, then I suggest gathering a set of use-cases
> that can't be addressed through the means we discussed here previously.  So,
> something that can't effectively be addressed through using the pause and
> resume API.

We’ve discussed this point before.  I accept you point that a user could
implement this behavior with pause and resume.  This KIP is about creating a
higher-level API to make it easier to do so.

> Then come up with a concrete proposal that addresses all the questions we
> have, including about starvation, incremental fetch requests, and so on.

To me it seems like there’s only one outstanding issue here (incremental
fetch), and we could just pick one of the options.  Starvation is by design.
I’m not sure what “and so on” references.

> This could be a lot of work.  If you're looking for a way to make more
> contributions, I'd recommend getting started with something easier.

Yes it does.  And after 6 months of (sometimes circular) discussion I’d like to
either move towards a vote or set the status of this KIP to dormant until if
and when someone else picks up it up.

Does anybody else have input on either having a vote or setting the KIP dormant
?

Cheers,
--
      Nick