We use the ‘feature’ packaging along with the ‘feature-generate-descriptor’ goal
and it has been working very well for our particular use-case.

So while I’m ok with removing it from the default lifecycle (or better
introducing a
flag to control it) I really wouldn’t want to see it totally go away as then
we’d have
to maintain the same information twice - both in the Maven pom, and again in the
feature descriptor.