From: Stephen Holt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:17:15 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

   > at this stage. Do we definitely need to translate m188 for now then,
   > and will there be any further changes?

this is a question to the development, not to l10n ;-) Sometimes, it
happens that some strings (or even features) land in the OOo source code
despite the fact that the feature and UI freeze happened... This is sad,
but true :-(

For translating, please keep in mind the following points:

- you can upgrade your POs to the new version of POT files easily.

  In fact, I'm doing this for every development milestone we release and it
  takes approx. 5 minutes to update Czech PO files to the new development
  milestone. Other teams do it as well (e.g. Estonian etc). There are tools
  available and described. Very easy to use. Really.

  You also see what is new/changed etc.

  So: it is very easy to update POs to the new version of POTs and you
  should try to bring this process into your localization processes which
  is crucial for the next point.

  If you understand this point, go to the next one:

- at some point in the development cycle, the SRC680 tree is branched to
  OO?680 and the real release's POT files are named OO?680_m?.

  So the typical translator work is/should be:

  - work on the latest SRC680

  - if the release is near, stop working on SRC680 and use appropriate
    OO?680 POT files if available

  - once release is done/finished/released/approved, update to the latest
    SRC680 again to be prepared for the next release and continue as stated
    in the first point.

  This is the regular development cycle. If you are brave enough, you can
  branch off the translations as well and have two separate branches -
  OO?680 for the release and HEAD/SRC680 for the next version, but I do not
  think this is needed.

- when the UI deadline is near (October 26 this case: see
  http://l10n.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=6874), take
  the latest stuff you have for the release and file an issue with it.

Technical details of OO?680 and SRC680 are explained in my presentation at
OOoCon 2006:

http://marketing.openoffice.org/ooocon2006/presentations/tuesday_c6.pdf
http://ooocon-arnes.kiberpipa.org/media/What_Pavel_Janik/play.html

If you have further questions, please ask.
--
Pavel Janík

Continued exposure to KDE seems to cause mental injury.
                  -- Joerg Arndt