Hi,

Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
To make things even clearer, I am saying that using _any_ intermediary format for documentation is a waste of resources.

let me add some words to your message:

The application help files are XML files. See http://documentation.openoffice.org/online_help/techdetails.html for details.
The Help Viewer converts the XML files to HTML when they are displayed.

Using XML, it should be even more easy to use a straight forward translation process without intermediate files.

Today we have a 1:1 correspondence of paragraphs as the smallest units to be translated. Each paragraph has an ID number to ensure the correct mapping of translated text. This means that no localization with additional or removed parts of text is possible. Not 21st. century technology in my opinion.

We want to add a link to every help page to a corresponding Wiki page, where every user can add comments (or more). This will need some effort to re-sync the source files in CVS with the user contents from the Wiki. In all languages. Good ideas are welcome.

Uwe
--
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -  Technical Writer
  StarOffice - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - Hamburg, Germany