On 13 juil. 07, at 00:07, Uwe Fischer wrote:

Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
To make things even clearer, I am saying that using _any_ intermediary format for documentation is a waste of resources.

let me add some words to your message:

Uwe,

Thank you so much for your mail !

The application help files are XML files. See http:// documentation.openoffice.org/online_help/techdetails.html for details. The Help Viewer converts the XML files to HTML when they are displayed.

Using XML, it should be even more easy to use a straight forward translation process without intermediate files.

That is very good to know. There are already free generic XML filters that produce valid XLIFF: Okapi framework for ex, developed by Yves Savourel, also editor of the XLIFF 1.0 spec. Okapi is developed in .NET 2.0 but I keep asking Yves to make it compatible with Mono so that it can be used in other environments. As a side note, OmegaT's XLIFF filter has been made to specifically support Okapi's output.

Today we have a 1:1 correspondence of paragraphs as the smallest units to be translated. Each paragraph has an ID number to ensure the correct mapping of translated text. This means that no localization with additional or removed parts of text is possible. Not 21st. century technology in my opinion.

No, but that means that correct TMX files are a possibility (even now). By the way I wonder why Rafaella told me creating TMXs of the state of the strings before the current updates was impossible ?

Also, even with your static paragraph based linking, it is still possible to add "locale-specific" info within the translated paragraph. I don't see this as an issue. You could require added information to be tagged in a special inline tag for easy recognition on your side.

We want to add a link to every help page to a corresponding Wiki page, where every user can add comments (or more). This will need some effort to re-sync the source files in CVS with the user contents from the Wiki. In all languages. Good ideas are welcome.

I am not a developer so I quit using Wikis to update the OmegaT documentation. But if you have a system that correctly converts the mediawiki (?) to your XML, which I had not, then the only problem I see is merging the comments in languages other than English to get an homogenous source file set... And that is probably not trivial :)

You may want to consider non-locale specific contents (comments on the translation itself that eventually will impact the original, and that may need to be translated to English) and locale specific comments (that will only impact that localization, no need to modify the sources, only the LC is concerned).

Way past bed time !

Cheers,
Jean-Christophe Helary (fr team)