Jean-Christophe Helary ha scritto:
(fast rewind to an hypothetical beginning when things were not so hot)

Is there a practical worflow that allows to efficiently use the 70,000 segments in the TMX files, as well as the 25,000 entries in SUN GLOSS with the provided PO files ?

Can teams who use PO describe how they work with TMX and glossaries to re-use all the previously translated contents and ensure glossary terms are properly used ?

I'd really like to know myself how people translate with the current workflow as I feel we're missing something.

In the Italian community we're currently translating most of our files directly on Pootle which may be considered a good translation workflow management system but a very poor translation editor.
So far we've tried different solutions:
- we downloaded the PO files and tried to translate them with OmegaT but we had problems with the TMX matching and with the reconversion to SDF (gsicheck errors); - we extracted XLIFF files from Pootle and tried to translate them with the OLT Editor but the tool didn't even open them as it considered the XLIFF files not well formed; - we converted the PO files using the OLT Filters, it worked, but then it proved so slow in handling the TM that we had to give up on that; - we translated some of our content with poEdit but that editor is as poor as Pootle from this point of view (no TM and no glossary).

So far I find the method for translating SDF files proposed by Jean-Cristophe the best way to work on the translation but it seems to be not compatible with Pootle which we are using as well. What we, as translators, really need is a method to translate effectively using TM and glossaries just like we do in the professional world. OmegaT would have it all: a glossary extracted from SunGloss can easily be converted for the tool and the OmegaT TM engine works very well... but then, obviously, we need a TM that matches the content to be translated.

Ale.

Jean-Christophe Helary

Alessandro Cattelan
Freelance translator (EN, ES --> IT)