On 26 déc. 07, at 17:45, Yury Tarasievich wrote:

"Could" being the operative word here. See, I don't understand where do you expect this info to actually come *from*. Somebody has to type in those thousands of meta-descriptors into the carrier file, after all.

Yuri, your original question was:

Maybe I'm missing something, but how can the Sun's glossary/TMX or whatever be helpful without meta-information? No amount of toolchain change is going to address this by itself.

The answer is simple.

In the case of SUN GLOSS, and for an OmegaT centered process, you can leave the "meta-information" that SUN provides in its data as comments in the glossary file that OmegaT uses. When I write "you can" I mean "it is trivial" and can be done in a Calc sheet for example.

In the case of TMX/XLIFF, it can be done by properly using the relevant tags in the respective files. And that can be done with a script in the language of your choice. But for that, there is a need to have the _will_ to have a direct filter for the SDF format first.

It might as easily be done with the extended SDF/FDS/whatever as with XLIFF, but resources ought to be dedicated beforehand. And so, in the case of hypothetical format switch resources ought to be dedicated "twice". That's why I strongly doubt the format switch at this juncture would facilitate the filling of the meta-info slots.

As Javier put it, SDF is _not_ a localization format. That is what you seem to not understand in what I wrote.

We need a localization format (PO, XLIFF, key=value, anything) that matches the localization data SUN provides us with (TMX). This has nothing to with with developing or not developing the SDF format.

Jean-Christophe Helary